If you are facing harsh penalties after being charged with reckless driving, you should consider speaking to a reckless driving lawyer Abingdon VA offers. To learn more about what options you have, contact Mark Hurt of The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt.
Virginia’s driving laws are considered by many to be some of the strictest in the country. In Abingdon, these laws are heavily enforced by law enforcement. A reckless driving conviction can be included in your charges if you were driving at least 20 mph over the speed limit, or above 80 mph regardless of the speed limit. This means if you are driving on the I-95 and the posted speed limit is 70 mph, you could be charged with reckless driving if you were driving 81 mph.
Consequences for Reckless Driving in VA
In Virginia, reckless driving is a Class 1 misdemeanor for the first offense. Penalties could include:
- Fines up to $2,500
- Jail time
- Suspension of license
- Points on a license
- Revocation of insurance or an insurance premium increase
- Criminal record
Reckless driving charges can be very complex to defend against which is why you should talk with a reckless driving lawyer in Abingdon VA as soon as possible. This is especially true if you have been previously charged with a driving or traffic offense.
Examples of Reckless Driving
When you consult a reckless driving lawyer Abingdon VA respects such as Mark Hurt of The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt, they will need to know everything about your charges. If your ticket says “RD” or “Reckless Driving,” that is your charge. The reason you were charged might be for any of the following:
- Passing on a curve
- Failure to control a car which resulted in an accident
- Driving one of two cars abreast in a single lane
- Failure to signal
- Passing through closed railroad crossings
- Failure to yield
- Racing cars
- Driving to intimidate another person
A good reckless driving lawyer Abingdon VA motorists choose such as Mark T. Hurt can investigate the circumstances of your case and build an appropriate defense. Points that a reckless driving lawyer Abingdon VA relies on might consider include:
- Were there any witnesses who observed your reckless driving? Are they credible?
- Did the police officer follow proper procedure before giving you a ticket or arresting you? Was any device they used properly calibrated?
- What might a prosecutor try to use against you, and how can their points be defended?
- Were you in an emergency at the time of the event?
- Is your driving record clean apart from this charge?
Lawyer Mark Hurt Seeks Success
As a successful Abingdon reckless driving lawyer, Mark T. Hurt has often been able to get clients’ charges reduced or dropped. He may be able to do the same for you.
These cases are often processed through the criminal justice system very quickly. The sooner you contact a reckless driving lawyer Abingdon VA has to offer, the better the outcome of your case might be.
Mark Hurt of The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt works with clients throughout Virginia who have been charged with reckless driving. Our legal team can work hard to protect your rights. For a free consultation with Mark T. Hurt, a reckless driving lawyer Abingdon VA trusts, call 276-623-0808.