Facing a reckless driving charge in Virginia can be a daunting and stressful experience. A conviction can lead to severe consequences, including a permanent criminal record, fines, license suspension, and even incarceration.
At The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt, we understand the impact that a reckless driving conviction can have on an individual’s life. Our team is committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to protect your rights and secure the best possible outcome for your case.
With over two decades of legal representation, firm-founding attorney Mark Hurt has built a reputation for tenaciously fighting for clients’ rights. If you are facing a Virginia reckless driving charge, we invite you to call our office to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case and legal options. In the interim, below are answers to frequently asked questions about reckless driving charges in Virginia.
What Constitutes Reckless Driving in Virginia?
Every year, over twenty million drivers receive citations from the police, often in the form of a reckless driving charge. However, many people remain unaware of the severity of a reckless driving charge. In Virginia, reckless driving is considered a criminal offense, setting it apart from standard moving violations or driving infractions.
Depending on the specific circumstances of a matter, a conviction can result in:
- A permanent misdemeanor or felony criminal charge on your record;
- Fines of up to $2,500;
- License suspension for up to six months; and
- Possible jail time of up to 12 months.
Additionally, an individual’s driving record may be negatively affected for up to eleven years. For example, the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) documents various offenses on an individual’s DMV record for a specified number of years (depending on the offense) following a conviction or guilty plea:
- Speeding over 85 mph: 11 years
- Driving 20 mph over the limit: 11 years
- Passing a school bus: 11 years
- Passing an emergency vehicle: 11 years
- Passing at a railroad crossing: 11 years
- Racing: 11 years
- Driving too fast for weather or road conditions: 11 years
- Driving two vehicles abreast: 11 years
- Driving with an obstructed view: 11 years
It is important to note that this list is not all-inclusive, and a variety of other charges could also have long-lasting implications on your driving record.
Why Should I Hire an Experienced Virginia Reckless Driving Attorney?
When facing a reckless driving charge, it is crucial to have an experienced attorney on your side who understands the intricacies of Virginia’s reckless driving laws and can build a strong defense on your behalf. At The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt, we are well-equipped to handle even the most challenging reckless driving cases. Our representation typically includes:
- Thorough Case Analysis. As an experienced reckless driving lawyer, Mark Hurt begins by conducting an in-depth review of a case to identify any weaknesses in the prosecution’s evidence, potential legal defenses, and opportunities for negotiation.
- Challenging Evidence. He will then scrutinize the evidence against a firm client, including the traffic stop’s legality, the accuracy of the officer’s observations, and the validity of any speed detection devices used.
- Negotiating with Prosecutors. When appropriate, Mark has extensive experience negotiating with prosecutors to reduce or dismiss charges, potentially saving individuals from criminal convictions and the associated penalties.
- Dedicated Representation in Court. If your case goes to trial, as a seasoned litigator, you can trust that Mark will present a compelling defense on your behalf and aggressively fight for your rights.
- Post-Conviction Assistance. Should an individual be convicted, our support does not end. Our dedicated team can assist with appealing a decision, seeking expungement of a criminal record, and navigating the license reinstatement process.
Why Choose The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt for Your Reckless Driving Case?
There are several key reasons why clients across Virginia trust The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt with their reckless driving cases, including:
- Proven Track Record. With over two decades of legal experience, Mark Hurt has successfully represented clients in countless reckless driving cases, securing favorable outcomes, such as dismissals and reduced charges and/or penalties, through negotiations and in court.
- Personalized Attention. At The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt, we understand that every case is unique, which is why we dedicate the time and effort to develop a tailored defense strategy for each client.
- Commitment to Positive Results. Firm-founding attorney Mark Hurt’s top priority is ensuring the best possible outcomes for firm clients.
- Accessible and Responsive. We are available 24 hours per day to answer client calls. We believe in maintaining open lines of communication to ensure that you feel supported and confident in our representation.
Schedule a Free Consultation Today with Experienced Virginia Reckless Driving Lawyer Mark Hurt.
If you or a loved one is facing a reckless driving charge in Virginia, do not leave your future to chance. With so much at stake, it is crucial to have an experienced and tenacious attorney by your side. At The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt, we are ready to zealously fight for your rights and to represent you throughout your case.
We invite you to call our offices today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with experienced Virginia reckless driving attorney Mark Hurt. During this consultation, Mark can learn about the specifics of your case, provide you with an overview of your legal options, and outline a strategy designed to protect your rights and achieve the best possible outcome.
Do not let a reckless driving charge define your future. Reach out to The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt today, and let us provide the tenacious representation you need in seeking to secure a favorable resolution for your reckless driving charge.
Frankie was the best. She helped me mentally, lawfully, she communicates and I appreciate her. I would never ever contact anyone else other than her if I’m ever in a situation in VA and if this law firm can cross state lines I would pay them! I felt so secure and safe! Thanks so much!