Bristol, TN Whistleblower Lawyer & Qui Tam Lawsuit Attorney
Under the False Claims Act, private citizens are allowed to file lawsuits on behalf of the government to recover fraudulently acquired compensation and benefits. These lawsuits are known as qui tam lawsuits. If successful, a whistleblower is typically entitled to a percentage of a settlement or recovery, typically ranging from 15% to 30%. Qui tam lawsuits often involve millions of dollars; therefore, a concerned citizen who reports wrongdoing could potentially collect significant compensation.
However, qui tam cases are notoriously complex, as they often require years of investigation under seal. During this time, the alleged perpetrator may be unaware they are the target of an investigation; thus, it is often critical to maintain confidentiality. Further, because the first person to report valid fraud is generally exclusively entitled to the reward, it is also in a whistleblower’s best interest to not discuss a claim, except with an experienced false claims act attorney.
If you are considering filing a qui tam action, it is advisable to consult with an experienced Bristol, TN whistleblower lawyer. Government fraud attorney Mark Hurt has over two decades of experience successfully representing clients in qui tam and other matters. Over this time our firm has recovered millions of dollars in compensation for the federal government, and significant compensation for whistleblowers.
Call our office to schedule a free consultation to learn about your whistleblower rights and protections.
How Much Does An Experienced Bristol Qui Tam Attorney Cost?
You can hire experienced whistleblower attorney Mark Hurt without paying any upfront, out-of-pocket fees.
A qui tam action is significantly different than ordinary litigation in that a whistleblower is filing suit on behalf of the government. Consequently, if the government chooses, they can take over a case after a thorough investigation, which occurs in many successful qui tam cases. This is advantageous, as the government will utilize its own resources to pursue justice, and a whistleblower will still be entitled to a substantial reward (if fraud is exposed).
However, even if the government does not take over a case, we represent whistleblowers on contingency, meaning we only receive a fee if compensation is recovered for the government. Further, we advance all litigation expenses while a case is ongoing. If compensation is recovered, under applicable statute we are then entitled to a payment of fees for our services, and whistleblowers are entitled to a separate fee for initiating litigation.
What Types of False Claims Act Lawsuits Does The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt Handle?
The United States government spends over $700 billion annually on national defense and hundreds of billions more on federal programs such as Medicare. Much of this funding goes to private contractors, health care providers, and others who provide goods and services for a variety of programs. Unfortunately, many government contractors have developed ways to capitalize on large government contracts fraudulently, taking more than they rightfully deserve. When this happens, Bristol qui tam lawsuit attorney Mark Hurt stands ready to help expose fraud and pursue justice.
At The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt, we are available to represent whistleblowers in all types of cases involving fraud against the government, such as (but not limited to):
- Healthcare Fraud (e.g., Medicare, Medicaid, and Tricare fraud)
- Customs & Tariff Fraud
- Government Contractor Fraud
- College Recruitment Fraud
- IRS Tax Fraud
- Securities & Financial Fraud
- Government Grant Fraud
- Mortgage Fraud
- Loan Fraud
- Student Loan Fraud
- Educational Fraud
- Contract Fraud & Misrepresentation
What Are Some Examples of Government Contractor Fraud?
While there are seemingly limitless ways to defraud the government, the following are a few common examples of government contractor fraud that whistleblowers can expose:
- Cross-Charging. Cross-charging occurs when a contractor illegally shifts expenses and costs from a fixed-price contract to a cost-plus contract to increase profits.
- Improper Product Substitution. The U.S. government requires contractors to use particular grades and types of materials and parts, but many companies make improper substitutions to increase profitability. For example, the government often requires materials to be sourced only from the United States; however, a contractor may substitute cheaper, foreign materials.
- Cost Inflation. Cost inflation occurs when a contractor misstates costs and charges to inflate revenue.
- Substandard Products. The government often requires that products and services be of a certain quality; however, some contractors supply substandard products, knowing the government cannot test every product it purchases.
- Pricing Disclosure Violations. A contractor may be required to disclose cost information when negotiating a price for products or services. If an individual inflates such costs and expenses, they may violate the Truth in Negotiations Act.
This list is non-exhaustive, meaning there are many other ways individuals and businesses defraud the government. If you are unsure if certain conduct is fraudulent, we invite you to call our office to schedule a free consultation. Firm-founding attorney Mark Hurt can listen to the facts of your case and explain whether you may have a valid qui tam action.
Schedule A Free Case Evaluation with Bristol False Claims Attorney Mark Hurt to Discuss Reporting Government Fraud.
The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt has extensive experience with qui tam lawsuits. If you know about misconduct involving fraud against the government, please contact our office to schedule a free consultation to assess whether you might have a potential qui tam suit that could result in a whistleblower award.
“Words can’t begin to explain how appreciative I am for the services that the Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt provided. I live out of state, so I was concerned about being present for a ticket I got for reckless driving. But, after speaking with Brooke about it, I felt relieved and confident that it would be taken care of in the most professional way possible and I was 100% right! Thank you so much for your kindness and professionalism in which you handled my case.”
CLICK HERE to view our case results.