Each year, thousands of tragic accidents occur along Interstate 26 in Johnson City, causing life-changing injuries and numerous fatalities. If you (or a loved one) have been injured in a severe car wreck caused by someone else’s negligence, you are entitled to bring a claim against those responsible for full compensation for all of the damages that you sustained.
It’s important to understand that in the case of a severe car wreck, an injury victim will only have a short window of time to pursue damages. In Tennessee, the time period for bringing a claim for injuries and other compensation (known as the statute of limitations) will only be one year (in most cases) from the date of the car wreck; otherwise, a claim for compensation may be forfeited.
To have the best chance of securing a settlement or jury award for physical injuries, medical care, pain and suffering, property damage, wrongful death, or other expenses, it is vital to conduct a thorough investigation, assemble compelling evidence, and build a persuasive case. However, these steps can take substantial time. Thus, after seeking immediate medical attention, it is critical to reach out to experienced Johnson City car accident lawyer Mark Hurt to schedule a free case evaluation as soon as possible. The sooner you contact our firm, the sooner we can start working on your matter.
You only pay a fee if we are successful in securing compensation on your behalf. We also advance litigation expenses while a case is ongoing, so you will not need to come out of pocket for any money while litigation is ongoing.
At The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt, We Work to Identify All Liable Parties in Seeking Maximum Compensation.
In a severe car wreck in Johnson City, multiple individuals, companies, or even a municipality may be at fault. Those potentially responsible include:
- Employers (if a driver was working at the time of an accident)
- Trucking companies (if an 18-wheeler or other commercial truck was involved)
- Manufacturers (if a defective automobile part caused an accident)
- The government (if a pothole or defective road condition caused an accident)
- Other third parties
For example, if an individual is involved in an accident with a commercial delivery driver, the company that employs the worker may be liable for damages. If a defective automotive part was partially to blame for causing the crash, the defective part manufacturer might also be responsible for damages.
Personal automobile insurance policies often do not fully cover a victim’s healthcare costs and other losses, but companies usually have deeper pockets and higher insurance maximums. As such, at The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt, we work to ensure that all liable parties are identified, as this is the best course of action for potentially obtaining the full and fair compensation you deserve.
What Steps Should I Take If I Am Involved in a Johnson City Car Accident?
As an experienced Johnson City car crash firm with decades of legal experience, we know that taking specific steps after an accident can significantly improve an individual’s chances of securing compensation.
If you were injured in a car wreck with another car, truck, SUV, motorcycle, 18-wheeler, or other vehicle, we suggest:
- Seeking Medical Treatment Immediately. First and foremost, your safety and health are of paramount importance; therefore, we encourage you to seek immediate medical attention, even if injuries are seemingly insignificant. In many cases, injuries are not readily detectable or may not be evident for some time; therefore, it is critical to seek medical attention to ensure the proper diagnosis of any injuries.
Further, if a case proceeds to trial, injuries must be proven through evidence. By seeking immediate medical attention, a victim is creating injury documentation (i.e., a paper trail) that can be critical to a case’s outcome.
- Taking Photos of the Accident Scene and Injuries. A picture can indeed be worth a thousand words in court. Thus, it is helpful to take photos related to an accident, including photographs of:
- Skid or tire marks
- Weather conditions
- Damaged property
- Traffic signs and lights
- Any other pertinent information relating to the conditions of the accident scene.
- Collect Contact Information from Witnesses. Having a firsthand account of what happened during an accident can be critical to the outcome of a lawsuit, but if contact information is not gathered (at the scene), it can be nearly impossible to get in touch with potential witnesses. Thus, it is essential to request names, phone numbers, and email addresses from all individuals at an accident scene (if this is possible).
- Following A Physician’s Treatment Plan. If an individual refuses to comply with a doctor’s orders, an insurance company (or another liable party) may argue that the injuries were exacerbated by an individual’s failure to comply with a physician’s medical treatment. As such, it is vital to attend follow-up visits and proceed as directed.
- Speaking with an Experienced Johnson City Car Wreck Lawyer. Insurance companies will do everything in their power to pay the least amount possible to injured victims, even if it requires questionable tactics, such as twisting an injured victim’s words or alleging that the injury victim was at fault. If you’ve been injured, it’s highly likely that an insurance claims adjuster for the at-fault driver will try to call you and to make a recording of such call so that they can get you to say things that will harm your case. You do not need to speak to them. As your legal counsel, we will instruct them to only speak with our firm.
At The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt, we conduct thorough investigations of car wrecks as a part of gathering evidence to determine liability. We can investigate an accident scene to determine all those who may be at fault and, (particularly in severe car wrecks), we often will retain accident reconstructionists and others to help determine fault.
We have dealt with insurance companies for decades, and are experienced in building and positioning the cases of our clients for full compensation. Let attorney Mark Hurt handle all litigation and settlement negotiations on your behalf. As an experienced litigator, he will not hesitate to take a case to trial if a full and fair settlement cannot be reached.
Call Us Today to Schedule a Free Case Evaluation to Learn About Your Options for Seeking Full Compensation!
We hired Mr. Hurt to help settle a worker’s comp injury case for my husband. Mark, Bart, and Mary worked tirelessly to resolve his case and reach a settlement we were pleased with. They were always available to answer questions and returned calls in a timely manner.