Johnson City, TN Reckless Driving Lawyer
Going out for a drive is a daily occurrence for the majority of us, and it is assumed the motorists around us will drive and act responsibly. But when the safety of ourselves and others on the road is ignored, the reckless driver(s) deserve to be brought to justice.
Here’s a guide on what anyone should know about reckless driving in Johnson City, TN
What exactly is reckless driving?
Also known as careless driving and/or dangerous driving, reckless driving is when someone acts with reckless disregard and gross negligence when operating a vehicle.
Reckless driving is typically used as an umbrella term. Here are some common reckless driving examples:
- Use of excessive speed; typically driving more than 20 mph the posted speed limit sign.
- Racing other vehicles.
- Weaving in and out of lanes at high speeds and without proper signals.
- Passing a stopped school bus.
- Evading law enforcement after the police officer has signaled for you to pull over.
- Texting and using the phone while driving.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
- Intentionally failing to yield the right of way.
- Running red lights and stop signs.
- Not following posted signs in a construction zone.
What are the potential consequences of reckless driving?
Reckless driving is a very serious driving citation, even qualifying as a misdemeanor offense in some states. While it depends on the severity of the case, if you are convicted with a reckless driving charge, you may face:
- Paying a fine.
- Points on your license. A guilty conviction will carry the maximum number of demerit points.
- Increased insurance premiums.
- A suspended license.
- Loss of a job if you have to drive as a part of your job.
- Jail time, especially if this is a recurring charge.
Again, it is hard to predict what a potential conviction would be, without speaking to a lawyer first. Consulting with a reckless driving lawyer in Johnson City, TN at The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt will help to bring understanding to your case.
Pleading guilty VS having a lawyer represent you
A reckless driving charge is considered a criminal offense, so it is imperative for you to have a reckless driving lawyer in Johnson City, TN represent you in a court of law. The penalties and resulting long term consequences of being found guilty of a reckless driving charge can be severe and detrimental if you simply plead guilty. It is always wise to speak to a lawyer before making any decisions, as it may require a lawyer to explain any future implications of a guilty charge which you may not be aware of.
In addition, working with a reckless driving lawyer in Johnson City, TN is one of the best ways to lower the penalties of a charge or even get rid of the charge all together. Lawyers are the best tools to have when it comes to negotiating a plea, which is not an option when you simply send in a guilty plea without legal representation.
You do not have to face a reckless driving charge alone. Do not hesitate to contact a reckless driving lawyer in Johnson City, TN from The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt today to learn more about what we can do to help you.