Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer in Virginia and Tennessee
Each year, around 2.5 million individuals suffer a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), tragically leading to approximately 50,000 deaths and an additional 80,000 individuals left with permanent disabilities. TBIs are life-altering and can have a profound impact on the lives of those who suffer from them, as well as their families.
At The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt, we understand the emotional and financial burdens that traumatic brain injuries can cause. We provide dedicated and tenacious representation to clients in Virginia and Tennessee who have suffered from a TBI. With over two decades of fighting for the injured, Mark Hurt provides representation for TBI injuries on a contingency fee basis, advancing all litigation expenses while a case is ongoing.
If you or a loved one was injured and suffered a debilitating TBI, we invite you to call our offices to schedule a free consultation. We also encourage you to read through the following article to learn about the types of incidents that often result in a TBI, the damages available in TBI cases, the statutes of limitations for filing claims for damages in both Tennessee and Virginia, and the advantages of working with an experienced TBI lawyer.
Free Consultation – No Fee Unless Compensation is Received
The Types of Incidents that Often Result in Traumatic Brain Injuries
Traumatic brain injuries can occur in many situations, including car crashes, slips and falls, sports injuries, and workplace accidents. Some common causes of TBIs include:
- Motor vehicle crashes. Collisions can lead to severe head trauma, especially in high-speed crashes or when a pedestrian or cyclist is injured.
- Slip and falls. Falling from a height or slipping on a wet surface can cause the head to strike a hard surface, resulting in a TBI.
- Sports injuries. High-impact sports like football, hockey, and soccer often involve collisions that can cause head trauma.
- Workplace and construction accidents. Falls from heights, being struck by objects, or other accidents on the job can lead to traumatic brain injuries.
- Assaults. Violent altercations, such as being struck by a blunt object or receiving a blow to the head, can cause a TBI.
Regardless of how a brain injury arises, if another person’s negligent action or inaction caused the condition, an injury victim and their family should be entitled to justice and maximum compensation for their injuries.
Types of Damages Available in Traumatic Brain Injury Cases
Victims of traumatic brain injuries may be entitled to compensation for many types of damages, including:
- Medical expenses. Compensation for past and future medical care, including surgeries, rehabilitation, and ongoing treatments.
- Lost wages and Lost Future Earning Potential. Reimbursement for any lost income due to the injury, as well as lost earning capacity if the victim is unable to return to work or can only work in a diminished capacity.
- Pain and suffering. Compensation for the physical pain and emotional distress caused by the injury.
- Loss of enjoyment of life. Damages for the diminished ability to enjoy life’s pleasures due to a traumatic brain injury.
- Loss of consortium. Compensation for the loss of companionship, affection, and support that a spouse, partner, or other family members experience due to the victim’s injury.
The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt is not only dedicated to representing traumatic brain injury survivors, but also the families of TBI victims who tragically succumb to their injuries. In such cases, TBI lawyer Mark Hurt can pursue wrongful death actions on behalf of grieving family members.
TBI Wrongful Death Representation – How We Work to Secure Full Compensation for Those Left Behind
Our sincere condolences if a family member has died as a result of a TBI caused by someone else. We know that not only have you suffered an irreparable emotional blow, but you also may be facing the loss of earnings that your loved one otherwise would have contributed.
We’re here to help in seeking the full compensation to which you may be entitled, including the loss of future wages.
In both Virginia and Tennessee, wrongful death claims are brought by the personal representative of the deceased’s estate. The purpose of a wrongful death claim is to monetarily compensate the surviving family members for their financial and emotional losses. Compensation may include damages for lost future wages, funeral and burial expenses, loss of financial support, loss of companionship, and emotional suffering. As an experienced brain injury attorney, Mark Hurt can represent you through the complex process of filing a wrongful death claim and demanding full compensation from all those liable. Often, legal liability may rest with multiple parties, thus it is critical to conduct a thorough investigation to identify all those who may be liable.
If you have lost a loved one through a TBI, we invite you to reach out to our office today for a free consultation and to get started with the process of demanding accountability.
Statute of Limitations for Filing for Damages in Tennessee and Virginia
It is crucial to be aware of the statute of limitations for filing a damage claim in TBI cases, as failing to file within the prescribed time limit may result in losing your right to pursue compensation. The statute of limitations for injury cases in Tennessee and Virginia are as follows:
- In Tennessee, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases, including TBI cases, is typically one year from the date of the injury. However, there may be exceptions or specific circumstances that can alter this time frame. For example, the “discovery rule” may apply, extending the deadline if the injured party was not aware of the injury or its cause within the one-year period. However, because of the normally short one-year deadline, we urge you to call our office as soon as possible so that we can get started with your case before any important deadlines expire.
- Virginia. In Virginia, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is generally two years from the date of the injury. Similar to Tennessee, exceptions or specific circumstances may extend this deadline, such as the discovery rule or if the injured party is a minor.
Given the complexities surrounding statutes of limitations, it is crucial to consult with an experienced TBI attorney to ensure your case is filed within the appropriate time frame. When you secure the representation of The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt, we can monitor critical deadlines and make timely filings on your behalf.
The Benefits of Working with an Experienced TBI Attorney
Having an experienced TBI attorney by your side can be incredibly beneficial in navigating the complex legal process and securing the compensation you deserve. Firm-founding attorney Mark Hurt brings over two decades of experience to each case, offering clients:
- Experience and knowledge in TBI cases and holding defendants accountable. As a traumatic brain injury attorney and personal injury lawyer, Mark understands the medical and legal nuances of TBI cases, and offers clients the experience from dozens of years of personal injury representation during which he has recovered millions of dollars for clients.
- Access to resources. Our firm has established relationships with physician and accident causation experts, ensuring we have access to those who can provide expert testimony to support our client’s cases.
- Contingency fee basis. Our firm handles TBI cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning our clients do not pay any attorney fees unless we secure compensation on their behalf. Additionally, we advance all litigation expenses while a case is ongoing, allowing injury victims to focus on their recovery.
- Personalized attention. As your attorney, Mark Hurt and our team are committed to providing compassionate and dedicated representation, ensuring that you and your family receive the support you need throughout the legal process.
Schedule a Free Consultation with The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt
If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury due to someone else’s negligence, you need a dedicated and experienced legal team on your side. The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt is here to help. With decades of experience, Mark Hurt will fight tirelessly in seeking to secure the compensation you deserve while providing the compassionate support you need during this challenging time.
Call now to get started on your path to justice and healing.