Kingsport Personal Injury Lawyer
Kingsport Personal Injury Lawyer
A Kingsport personal injury lawyer from The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt can help determine your eligibility for compensation for your personal injury. When an accident changes your life when you least expect it, it can impact your life in many ways. If the accident was caused by a reckless person, you have the right to bring a personal injury claim against the person so you can recover damages.
Personal injuries can happen for a wide variety of reasons. Some of the most common involve car accidents, pedestrian accidents, slip and falls, at work injuries, medical malpractice, and many others. If you were injured in some place due to the negligence of the premises or authorities of that establishment, then you may be in line to receive compensation for your pain and suffering. Speak to a lawyer right away so that you can find more about the requirements you need to fulfill to successfully file a claim.
Examples of Places You Could Receive Personal Injury
An accident that results in a personal injury can occur just about anywhere. There are many areas where a personal injury could occur, large, crowded areas to smaller, less trafficked locations. Some of the less obvious places or instances of this occurring are:
- Airports – Injuries can occur at airports due to faulty equipment or unnecessary clutter and objects that impact walkways and other areas that passengers are using. There are frequent construction projects in and around airports so pedestrians may be at risk of tripping over uneven pavement or suffer an injury because of an unseen hazard.
- Malls – Similar to airports, a mall may have faulty equipment or things occupying walkways, such as displays or stands, that could cause injuries to customers. There may be broken railings or spilled food and drinks on the floor.
- Public Pools – Injuries at pools due to slips and falls are common. Always walk if you are near a pool and watch out for slippery surfaces.
- Dog Bites – This is an instance of a personal injury where a dog bites you inflicting injury upon you. This could happen in your neighborhood or another place where dogs are likely to be such as a dog park or even a pet store. If an owner does not properly restrain their dog or does not secure their dog at their home properly, the victim can sue the owner.
- Hotels – A property owner or manager is responsible for maintaining their premises so that guests are not injured by any hazards, such as a broken elevator or a puddle of water that a guest can slip on. If they notice a hazard and do not clean it up properly (including putting a visible and legible sign), they can be held liable.
- Grocery Stores – Stores are common places where shoppers can easily injury themselves. Spilled food on an aisle or an area that was recently mopped can pose a hazard for unsuspecting people walking by.
- If you received an injury due to one of the issues detailed above or for another reason not listed, you may be able to receive compensation for your pain and suffering. Speaking with a personal injury lawyer from The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt can help you to determine your case.
What Kind of Compensation Can You Receive?
The types of compensation received for your personal injury case vary. It depends on what injuries you have and the severity, the number of injuries, your medical expenses, and other damages you are eligible for. It will also depend upon where the injury occurred and who was at fault. You cannot assume that an insurance company will offer the highest amount so that all your costs are covered. That is seldom the case. An insurance company is more likely to extend a lowball offer so they can avoid paying more than they need to.
Insurance companies would like to pay as little as possible in a personal injury case, so it is important to keep track of where and why the injury occurred. Legal counsel is able to help you prove these things and lay out the compensation that can be received. Some examples of compensation items are:
- Wage Losses – Reimbursement for days missed from work.
- Reduced Earnings Capacity – This refers to the reduced amount of income that you can earn because of your injuries. The reduction could be temporary or permanent.
- General Pain & Suffering – A certain set amount of money to cover your overall pain and suffering.
- Emotional Anguish – The impact on your mental health, including any distress, anxiety, depression, and other trauma that you have gone through.
- Medical Costs – Costs associated with any doctor’s visits, therapies or equipment you needed to purchase due to your injury. This can also include any future medical costs on top of immediate treatment you received.
Pain And Suffering: What Is It?
Before we dive into some examples of personal injury settlements, we need to talk about how most claims involve small injuries and this causes the typical compensation to be below $15,000 in many cases. Every settlement that you may go into will look at a variety of things, such as the severity of the injury, the type of medical treatment that you received for your injury, the length of your recovery time, possible long-term effects, and much more. This all plays into what you may earn.
They may also look at insurance coverage available and the type of case you’re presenting it as. Severity of the injury is a huge factor as it affects the value of “pain and suffering”. Pain and suffering as a category in a personal injury lawsuit is an attempt to put a monetary value on your literal pain and the suffering the injury has caused you, including emotional and mental injuries like fear, insomnia or even the loss of enjoyment in your life.
You can find “pain and suffering calculators” online to get an idea of what you could be looking at, but talk to your personal injury lawyer because those calculators are not always correct or reliable. They can give you a more accurate estimate of the amount you can recover.
In fact, do you know why pain and suffering “calculators” are not the most reliable things in the world? Insurance companies do not use a simple “pain and suffering calculator”, they usually use over 70 factors to figure out how much your case may cost them.
Insurance companies may also offer a higher settlement if your car is totaled or the damage is a lot. If you are claiming soft tissue injuries, such as whiplash, neck or back pain where no bone is broken, you may be told by your personal injury lawyer to provide photos of your vehicle to see if that may up your potential settlement.
Your personal injury lawyer is going to know how best to prove your pain and suffering. One important piece of evidence is the medical report made on the day of your accident. Physical pain and suffering focuses on your actual physical injuries, which is not only going to include the pain and discomfort, but also the detrimental effects (physically) that the claimant will have to deal with in the future due to the negligence of the defendant.
Mental pain and suffering is not a result of physical injury, but is kind of like a by-product of the physical injuries, if not of the accident itself. Mental pain and suffering is going to include things like mental anguish, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life, fear, humiliation, and more. This is any kind of negative emotion that the accident victim has because of the physical pain and trauma of their accident. Since these are non-economic damages and are not assigned an objective value, what compensation you can expect to receive highly varies.
Significant mental pain and suffering can even constitute PTSD or post traumatic stress disorder. Again, mental pain and suffering does not only include the effects that the victim has endured to date, but will take into account the effects they’ll suffer in the future too.
How to Proceed
Fighting your personal injury case doesn’t have to be done alone. When you act at the right time, you can obtain legal advice from a qualified lawyer who understands how to handle personal injury cases successfully. They will protect your rights and aggressively fight for the compensation you deserve. Legal representatives can help you decide upon next steps and how to go about seeking your compensation for your personal injury.
It is unfair for you to have to pay for these sudden expenses by yourself after suffering a personal injury. Your pain and suffering should be reimbursed to you due to these negative circumstances. A lawyer for Kingsport personal injury from The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt is there to help you. Contact us today for a free consultation. We are looking forward to helping you out with your case.
Slip and Falls
If you have recently experienced a slip and fall injury, you should contact our team now. Slip and falls may seem innocent at first, but there is always the chance of a minor injury developing into something much more severe. Don’t suffer through a lengthy (and expensive) recovery because of someone else’s negligence: Contact a personal injury lawyer to get the compensation you deserve.
What Is a Slip and Fall?
Slip and falls are pretty much exactly what they sound like: A minor injury that occurs in a home or business, which could have been prevented if the property owner hadn’t neglected their responsibility to keep you safe. A few common examples of slip and falls get the most attention from a legal perspective. If you were out shopping, or maybe ordering food in a restaurant before suddenly slipping and falling on a wet tile floor, you could have a slip and fall case on your hands. Or, you might have taken a tumble down some icy stairs when you were about to clock in for work.
In cases like these, the owner of the business has a responsibility to ensure safety – and being injured is a sign that they weren’t taking this responsibility too seriously. If you’ve experienced a slip and fall, it may be time to contact ourl personal injury lawyer. Getting legal assistance is important when dealing with a slip and fall, especially since you don’t know how serious your injuries may become.
The Hidden Dangers of a Slip and Fall
Unfortunately, many people who experience slip and falls don’t seek proper medical attention as soon as they can. They may feel more embarrassed than injured, and they might be underestimating the severity of their injuries. After all, it was just a slip on a wet floor, or a little trip because of some improperly secured wiring, right?
With a slip and fall, a minor injury is rarely the full case. After a minor injury goes untreated, it can quickly build up into a more severe affliction. This may result in costly medical procedures and doctor’s visits just to get to the bottom of a nagging soreness, painful bruising, or mysterious loss of motion – only to finally trace the culprit back to that (seemingly) innocent slip and fall injury.
After experiencing a slip and fall, you should always seek medical attention, and you should never feel ashamed or intimidated when you report your injury. You might feel a bit red in the face, but it’s a small sacrifice to ensure a healthy future. It’s better to feel a bit foolish now than to feel foolish and completely overwhelmed by medical bills later.
Effects of a Bicycle Accident
Another common type of personal injury incidents are bicycle accidents. When cycling on the road, riders have the same rights and duties as other vehicles. Bike collisions that involve a car driver can result in some of the very worst injuries. A bicycle rider just doesn’t have the same external protection that a car offers, so they are more likely to sustain devastating and painful injuries. Not only that, but a rider may recover from an accident with new fears surrounding getting on a bicycle.
It is normal for both the mind and body to need care after a serious personal injury accident. So when consulting with a lawyer about your bike accident, be transparent about how this recent event has adversely impacted your life and health. During the consultation, it will help to have:
- Photos of physical injuries and bike damage
- Statements from witnesses who saw the incident happen
- Medical documentation related to injuries
- Copy of the police report (if an officer responded to the scene)
- The clothing/shoes you were wearing (may be used as evidence to show where you were hit and the injuries sustained)
- Documentation that shows your earnings (to calculate wage loss if you missed work due to the injuries)
As your lawyer at The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt know, you may be experiencing pain, stress, and frustration at this time. A personal injury accident can impact both the victim and his or her family members. Pain and suffering, mental anguish, financial loss, and property damage are frequently seen in bike accident cases. You can trust us knowing that your rights and best interests are being protected from start to finish.
Safety Tips for Bicycling
Because cyclists share the road with drivers, it isn’t always possible to avoid a bike accident. Drivers act negligently all the time, and cyclists are vulnerable to being hit. To help reduce the chances of being in an accident with another bicyclist, pedestrian, or motorist, cyclists are encouraged to abide by these safety tips:
- Never ride against the flow of traffic
- Obey signs, street signals, and road markings
- Make eye contact with driver if possible, don’t assume they see you
- Don’t listen to music or talk on phone when riding
- Look ahead for hazards or debri in the road
Contact The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt Today
If you’ve experienced a slip and fall, a personal injury lawyer can make sure you get the money you need to make a full recovery. At The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt, we understand how frustrating it can be if your slight injury develops into something more severe – and we know that having to pay expensive medical fees only adds insult to an already embarrassing injury.
You don’t need to deal with your slip and fall alone. Contact the Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt, and see how a Lawyer for Personal Injury in Kingsport can help you today.