Reckless Driving Lawyer Wytheville, VA
When you get behind the wheel of a car, you are making a conscious decision to drive in a way that is safe for you and in a way that protects others on the road. Every driver owes other drivers this same legal duty of care, and when they do not live up to this duty, a police officer may issue negligent or reckless drivers some type of traffic ticket. However, there are cases in which law enforcement officers wrongfully issue negligent or reckless driving tickets and affected drivers must fight these charges in court. Not every ticket is reasonably issued. As a result, it is important to consult with a reckless driving lawyer in Wytheville, Virginia if you have been issued a ticket. A strong legal defense may empower you to fight these charges successfully.
The potential consequences associated with a reckless driving conviction may be severe. Instead of simply assuming responsibility for a small fine or maybe points on your insurance or driving record, you could face serious short and long-term consequences. As a result, if you have been charged with reckless driving, please do not hesitate to contact The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt. We know that this charge can be devastating, and if you do not handle it properly you could be facing a lifetime of repercussions. To learn more about reckless driving or to schedule a consultation, please consider reaching out to our office now.
What Are the Potential Consequences of Reckless Driving?
Reckless driving convictions may result in both short- and long-term consequences that we want you to know about. Once you understand what you may be facing, a Wytheville, VA reckless driving lawyer may be able to help you mitigate the seriousness of your unique situation.
Right after a police officer charges you with reckless driving, there are a few consequences that may occur in the short-term aftermath. These may occur at the scene or may happen when a judge convicts you. These potential consequences include:
- Fines. Like a speeding ticket, there will be a fine for reckless driving. Reckless driving fines tend to be more significant than simple speeding fines.
- License Suspension. Especially if this is not your first reckless driving conviction, the judge may suspend your license.
- Points. Depending on your state, you may get points on your driving or insurance record.
- Jail Time. We do not want to scare you, but with a reckless driving charge or conviction, there is always a possibility of jail time. It is partially for this reason that it is so important to consult with a reckless driving lawyer in Wytheville, VA in the wake of a reckless driving charge.
If a judge convicts you, you may face:
- The Loss of Your Job. Especially if you drive for a living, it is not unlikely that you will lose your job (and have a hard time finding a new one).
- Increase in Insurance Premiums. Once convicted, your insurance premiums may significantly increase.
- A Criminal Record. Reckless driving is a criminal offense. Unlike a speeding ticket, a conviction can mean you have a permanent criminal record. A criminal record may influence future housing options, educational opportunities and employment.
- A Civil Judgment. If your reckless driving situation resulted in an accident, you may be sued in civil court and held accountable in a number of ways. If you are dealing with the aftermath of an accident, connect with a personal injury attorney in Bristol, TN for assistance.
Where Can You Turn for Help?
A reckless charge is serious. Please do not hesitate to protect yourself by seeking the guidance of a Wytheville, VA reckless driving lawyer if you have been accused of reckless driving.
“Got reckless driving in a construction zone reduced to the lowest level speeding ticket. Brooke and Carol were very helpful and informative throughout the whole process. I was very nervous my first speeding ticket. Thank you so much”