A Personal Injury Lawyer Bristol TN Turns to Discusses Negligence in a Personal Injury Case?
Many actions for personal injury stem from harm caused by another. But what constitutes that type of action and is a concept that is worth exploring. Every day across America, victims suffer injuries, many catastrophic. If this harm is due to someone else’s action or inaction, a legal claim may be made.
From car accidents to construction accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, nursing home deaths and catastrophic workplace injuries, the Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt can represent you. In cases like these, you need a law firm with a wealth of experience in this area of law, to be assured of competent representation.
Elements of a Lawsuit
To bring a successful negligence suit, the plaintiff must show that each of the following five elements was present:
- A duty of care owed by the defendant to the plaintiff. It needs to be shown that some type of relationship existed between both parties, whether it be fellow drivers sharing the road, or an elderly patient under the care of a nursing home.
- A breach of that duty occurred. In other words, if it were not for the defendant’s action (or inaction) no harm would have resulted to the plaintiff. The idea of carelessness on the part of the defendant goes towards proving negligence.
- An actual causal connection between the defendant’s conduct and the resulting harm.
- A proximate cause existed. This means whether the harm was actually a foreseeable consequence of a defendant’s actions and therefore predictable and not remote.
- Damages resulting from the defendant’s conduct means an actual physical injury such as a traumatic brain injury in a car accident, loss of a limb in a motorcycle accident, bedsores on an elderly resident in a nursing home, or a child being bitten and mauled by a known neighborhood pet dog.
Conduct of the Defendant
When physical harm has occurred, the courts will look at the defendant’s behavior and compare their actions to that of a reasonable person. If what they did deviated or fell below what would be expected of a typical adult, they may be held liable for the harm caused. This is what is known as the “standard of care” evaluated in personal injury cases.
In the case of professions such as medicine and dentistry, if a doctor’s conduct with a patient falls below the standards of care of a reasonably qualified doctor in the same situation, this would equate to malpractice.
One final consideration when discussing negligence cases is determining when a case is, in fact, eligible to be filed based on when the negligent conduct or harm occurred. The statute of limitations for negligence claims in the majority of states often means that they must be commenced within two or three years after the incident occurred, depending on the laws of the state the parties live in. Consulting a personal injury lawyer in a timely manner is therefore important.
The lawyers at the Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt understand the complicated nature of these types of cases and the many layers, tangents, and the time frames involved. If you need the expertise of a personal injury lawyer Bristol TN clients trust to represent you and move forward with a solid case for a serious injury suffered, contact us today. There is no charge for the consultation, only gaining the benefit of meeting with an attorney who has experience with varied cases and who knows how the courts are adjudicating them.
Call today and talk to a personal injury attorney Bristol TN victims turn to at The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt if you have been hurt by someone’s carelessness. Many times the victims of accidents are eligible for compensation by those responsible for causing their injuries. We can help you determine if you qualify for reimbursement for your damages. Our firm has collected millions of dollars on behalf of our clients. We offer accident victims a free consultation with a personal injury attorney in Bristol TN from our firm. During that meeting, you can learn how we may be of assistance.
Many people who have been injured by someone else’s negligent action have a valid personal injury claim but it’s rejected anyway. Why does this happen? As a Bristol personal injury attorney can tell you, insurance companies are notorious for refusing to pay out claims. Often it’s because they simply do not want to lower their profit margin.
One of the advantages of hiring a personal injury attorney Bristol TN respects is that they can deal with the insurance company on your behalf. Our attorneys at The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt have a successful track record with negotiating fair settlements for our clients. The majority of the time, an insurance company may work with us. This is because the alternative is going to trial, and they would rather avoid the costs associated with fighting a lawsuit.
Common Personal Injury Claims
Regardless of how you were injured, we may be able to help you recover your damages. Any personal injury attorney Bristol TN residents rely on from our firm has seen any number of accident scenarios. Here are some of the most common:
- Slip and fall. When a person slips or trips and falls and is injured, the property owner can be held accountable under certain circumstances. A common scenario is a shopper in a retail store who trips on a display case that is difficult to see. Though the management was made aware of the hazard they did not mitigate it. A personal injury attorney Bristol TN community members hire can make a case that the store was responsible for causing your injury and should therefore cover your accident costs.
- Vehicle accident. If you were driving, walking, or were a passenger and were injured due to actions taken by a driver, you may qualify for compensation. An attorney from our firm can help you file a claim with the necessary documentation and proof to minimize the risk of you receiving a denial. We are also adept at understanding what damages can be claimed and the maximum amount of compensation you can collect.
- Workers compensation. If you were injured while on the job, even if you were not on your employer’s premises at the time, you likely qualify for workers comp benefits. If your claim was denied, a third-party was involved in causing your injury, or the benefits offered are greatly less than your accident damages, give us a call. We offer a free consultation to discuss your case with a skilled attorney from our firm.
Contact Us Today
The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt can provide you with a personal injury attorney Bristol TN offers by calling us at 276-623-0808.