News & Events
Car Accidents Occur Frequently
Motor vehicle accidents are the No. 1 cause of death, disability, and severe injuries among young and middle-aged adults. Although improvements in car design, such as crumple zones, airbags, collision warnings, anti lock braking systems (ABS), and others have dramatically improved safety for drivers and passengers, human error still poses a threat. When a driver is distracted, drowsy, intoxicated, aggressive, or otherwise reckless, severe injury or fatal collisions can occur.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. Reach out to Johnson city car accident lawyers from The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt. The person at fault could be held responsible for paying for your medical bills, lost wages, lost property, pain and suffering, and other losses.
Causes of Car Accidents in Johnson City
All drivers have a responsibility to operate their vehicles with due care and caution at all times. When a driver fails to be responsible behind the wheel, a crash can happen in an instant.
While there are a wide variety of reasons for collisions, some of the most common include:
- Distracted driving
- Driver fatigue
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Unfamiliarity with the roadway
- Driving under the influence of illicit drugs or alcohol
- Driving under the influence of prescription or over-the-counter medication
- Inclement weather
- Improper vehicle maintenance
- Defective vehicle design or defective parts
- Aggressive driving
- Following too closely
- Misjudgment of gap or speed of oncoming vehicles
- Failure to yield
Any of these or other factors could result in a collision. While some crashes are minor “fender benders” that result in property damage only, others could result in severe or catastrophic injuries. In the worst-case scenario, the victim’s injuries could prove to be fatal.
Types of Damages You May Recover After a Car Accident
If someone else is determined to be at fault for your accident, a car accident lawyer in Johnson City can help you get the following compensation:
- Current medical bills
- Any future medical bills incurred during the ongoing treatment of health conditions caused by your injuries
- Any costs related to the repair or replacement of your vehicle
- Lost wages from time missed from work for treatment
- Any lost future wages if your injuries have caused disabilities that prevent you from returning to your former line of work
- Pain and emotional distress
If your loved one was killed in the accident or died due to injuries incurred in the accident, you may also be entitled to:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of emotional support
- Costs of medical bills and lost wages are usually straightforward to determine. The compensation for pain and suffering is not.
How Can A Car Accident Lawyer Help
At The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt, we can prove your account of what happened by collecting detailed information regarding your accident; like the police report, eyewitness statements, security camera footage, and accident reconstruction testimony. We can also collect evidence of the surroundings of the accident, including any road hazards or skid marks, before a state or local agency makes repairs.
This evidence will help build a comprehensive picture of your case and to meet the burden of proof regarding the other party’s liability. Your Johnson City Car accident lawyer can also help you review the facts in your case and piece together a strategy that will bring you the most compensation you deserve.
Car accident suits can be complex and involve strict deadlines and procedures. Attempting to litigate this type of suit on your own can put you at a disadvantage against a party with legal counsel. Contact The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt and get an experienced Johnson City car accident lawyer to help you throughout the process.