Social Security Disability Lawyer Bristol, TN
Our Social Security Disability lawyer Bristol, TN recommends from The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt knows that when you are filing for Social Security Disability benefits you want to find a competent and skilled attorney. Although the law does not require you to hire an attorney for this process, you will find that applying for benefits is much easier and you have higher odds of winning your claim when you work with us. We understand that it is not always easy to find an attorney you work well with: you want someone you are comfortable around, treats you with respect, and is an advocate for you when it comes to your legal needs. Below, we talk about a few things you should consider when you are looking for an attorney. If you would like to speak to our Bristol, Tennessee Social Security Disability lawyer, please give us a call now.
What to Look for in an Attorney
As you look for a Social Security Disability lawyer in Bristol, TN, there are a few things that you should consider.
- The Promise of an Outcome. If your attorney could guarantee you a certain result, they would probably be extremely expensive and never available! Any time an attorney promises you that your case is a “slam dunk,” you should know that they are acting unethically. While we have a good track record, we cannot promise you that your case will win. However, we will speak with you honestly about how we believe your case will do after going over the details.
- Care and Respect. We know that you want an attorney because you want your case to have a good outcome. However, your attorney giving you care and respect is also important. Many attorneys’ offices are busy and have heavy caseloads. However, when you work with our Bristol Social Security Disability lawyer, know that you are getting someone who takes great care to manage each individual case and give every client the respect they deserve.
- They Give You the Time of Day. This is important. You may not be able to speak with your attorney every time you call. Many disability attorneys spend a lot of time in hearings, in fact. However, you should know upfront if there is a cap on the consultations you can have directly with your attorney, how often you will get to speak with them, and if their staff members are available to answer questions when they are out.
If you would like to see how a Social Security Disability lawyer in Bristol, TN from The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt can help you, give us a call.
Contact Our Bristol Social Security Disability Lawyer Today!
Even if you are suffering from some kind of disability, our Social Security Disability lawyer Bristol, TN recommends knowing that there are still reasons you may be denied Social Security benefits. When this is the case and you were counting on receiving those benefits, you may not be sure what your next steps are. If you were going to claim your SSD benefits and your application was denied, what can you do? Our Bristol, Tennessee Social Security Disability lawyer team is here to help you. We can review your application and determine if the reasons you were denied were founded or review your application before you turn it in to go over potential risks that may cause a denial. Call our office to learn more.
Reasons Your SSD Application May Be Denied
- The disability you are claiming is not severe enough. When this is the case, it means that your impairment may not last long enough (it should not last under 12 months) or that it is not particularly severe. Although there may be some exceptions (if you are experiencing blindness), it is important to go over details of your disability with your Social Security Disability lawyer in Bristol.
- You Won’t Release Your Medical Records. This is important because the Social Security Administration (SSA) will wan to examine your medical records to confirm your disability. However, if you refuse to let them do so or if you do not provide them with additional information they need they may deny your claim.
- You Won’t Listen to Your Doctor. You may have a disability that qualifies for SSD benefits. However, if your doctor, therapist, or rehabilitative specialist is giving you a prescribed therapy that should help with your healing process and you are refusing to do it (without a legitimate reason), it is certainly possible that your claim will be denied.
- You Earn too Much Money. One of the most common reasons our Bristol, Tennessee Social Security Disability lawyer has seen a client’s claim denied is because they earn too much income. While you can work up to a certain amount when you decide to apply for your SSD benefits, there is a set amount that you cannot make, otherwise, your claim will be denied.
If you are concerned that your SSD benefits will be denied or if they have already been denied, please contact our trusted Bristol, Tennessee Social Security Disability lawyer from The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt now.
How to Successfully Apply for Social Security Disability Benefits
If you recently suffered an injury or illness that prevents you from working, you have the option of applying for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). However, filing a claim can be stressful, especially when you are dealing with a disability. Here are a few helpful tips for successfully applying for SSDI.
Make Sure You Are Eligible
Unfortunately, not all disabilities qualify for benefits. Before filing a disability claim, you should first determine your eligibility. The Social Security Administration (SSA) requires individuals to have a disability that is expected to last at least a year, who are under retirement age and have paid FICA taxes for five of the last 10 years.
Do Not Wait to File an Application
When it comes to filing a disability claim, there is no time to dilly-dally. The initial application typically takes between three and six months to review. If you get your first application denied, you will have to wait any longer. That is why a social security disability lawyer in Bristol, TN suggests filing your application as soon as possible. If you wait too long to file, you could drain your savings and lose financial stability.
Adjust Your Budget
As mentioned above, you may have to wait a long time to receive your disability benefits. It is important to make drastic changes to your budget in the meantime. Otherwise, you could risk losing your savings, retirement account and even your home. Carefully look over your budget and determine what you can realistically cut out. For example, you could consider cutting your cable bill, not eating out at restaurants and downsizing your vehicle.
Be Completely Honest
When you’re filling out your application for disability benefits, a social security disability lawyer in Bristol, TN advises to be truthful. Don’t be tempted to exaggerate your symptoms because you think it will improve your chances of getting your application approved. The SSA has heard it all before and is good at determining who is being honest and who is embellishing the truth. If they find out that you weren’t completely honest, your application will get rejected.
Attach Your Medical Records
Before the SSA decides to approve your disability application, they will want to see your medical records. While you can sign a release so that the SSA can request these records for you, it will be quicker if you obtain the records yourself and include them in your application.
Hire a Lawyer
Applying for disability benefits can be time-consuming and stressful, so it is helpful to have a social security disability lawyer in Bristol, TN on your side. He or she can make sure all the information in your application is accurate and file it on time, helping you avoid any delays.