Red Light Ticket Law Firm Emporia VA
If you recently received a ticket for running a red light, you should consult a red light ticket law firm Emporia VA residents trust. The ticket can carry heavy fines and add points to your driving record. A lawyer can represent you in court and help you get your charges reduced.
Possible Defenses for Running a Red Light
If a police officer handed you a ticket for running a red light, you might think there is nothing you can do to fight it. However, there are actually many defenses a traffic lawyer Emporia VA residents count on can use, including:
- The Legality of the Camera: If red light cameras are legal to use in your area, there are certain laws that must be followed or the ticket may be thrown out. For instance, some cities require signs to be posted at an intersection where there are cameras. If there is no sign or it’s blocked by something, your ticket could get dismissed.
- The Images Aren’t Clear: If the photos that are presented into evidence aren’t clear, you may be able to argue their clarity in court. However, you should only use this defense if you can truthfully say that you were not driving the car that at the time the photo was captured.
- The Yellow Light Was Too Short: If the yellow light before the red light was too short and could not have let any vehicle safely pass through, you may be able to use that as your defense. If multiple vehicles have received tickets for running a red light at that intersection, you may be able to argue that the yellow light was shortened to increase money for tickets.
- You Had an Emergency: If you ran a red light because of a serious emergency, you may be able to use that as your defense. For example, if you were transporting a family member who was having a heart attack to the hospital, you may be able to get your ticket dropped.
- The Light Was Obstructed: If the traffic light was obstructed by a tree or other object, you could argue that you could not see that the light had turned red. However, you may have to submit photographic evidence that the light was obstructed at the time you received your ticket.
Speaking to a Lawyer
Trying to fight a red light traffic violation can be tough, so it’s helpful to work with a red light ticket law firm in Emporia VA. An experienced lawyer can assess your case and help you build an appropriate defense. He or she can help you save both time and money.
If you are dealing with a red light ticket, you should schedule a consultation with a red light ticket law firm in Emporia VA at The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt today.