Car Accident Lawyer Bristol TN
A Car Accident Lawyer Bristol TN Trusts Discusses Building a Car Accident Case
Whenever a victim is injured in a car accident, they are entitled under the laws of Tennessee to recover damages for the losses they have suffered from the party who was responsible for the crash. Even minor collisions can result in serious injury, such as whiplash or a concussion. These injuries often require expensive medical treatment and loss time from work as the victim recovers.
At The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt, we work diligently and aggressively to obtain the compensation our clients deserve for the injuries suffered due to the negligence of another. Each car accident lawyer understands the financial strains car accident injuries can cause a victim and their family and have earned a solid reputation for finding the evidence needed and putting forth a successful car accident injury case.
When preparing an injury case, a Bristol TN car accident lawyer will advise clients to take the following steps to help strengthen their case:
Photographs: Photographs are one of the best pieces of evidence that can be used in a car accident case because it is almost impossible to dispute them. Photos can provide a jury with a clear visual of the accident site, as well as the damage done to vehicles. Photos will show what the weather was like, how congested or quiet the accident site was, and any other factors that may have contributed to the crash.
It is also important to take photos of the victim’s injuries. This should be done immediately following the crash, as well as the injuries are healing, especially if the recovery process was a slow one. If a victim suffered any scarring or disfigurement, a car accident lawyer will also present photos of the victim before the crash, so the jury can see exactly the type of permanent loss the victim has suffered.
Medical Documentation: Victims should keep all documentation for all medical treatment they receive. This includes all bills for any expenses for medical treatment. This also includes any medications, as well as the cost of transportation to and from treatment appointments. A car accident lawyer will explain the best way to document transportation costs.
In addition to the medical expenses, victims should also keep all of the medical summaries they receive after each doctor’s visit. These summaries, written by medical staff, will have information about what was discussed between the doctor and the victim, such as any pain or difficulties the victim is having because of the injuries, and any follow-up information by the doctor, including the healing progression of the injuries.
Journal: Another strong piece of evidence a car accident lawyer can use is the victim’s journal. Writing in a journal every day is another excellent way of documenting injury timeline. The journal should include how the victim is feeling both physically and emotionally, including pain levels, how they are sleeping, symptoms they are having, and how the injury is impacting their life on an everyday basis.
Lost Wages: If a victim is unable to work as they recover, their car accident attorney will need proof of those lost wages in order to include them as part of the car accident claim. Documentation of proof includes statements from employers and from the victim’s physician verifying why the victim is unable to work.
Preparing for a Deposition in Your Personal Injury Car Crash Case
If you were injured in a car crash and have filed a lawsuit against the responsible driver for your injuries, you will most likely be deposed during a phase called “discovery.” A deposition is the chance for the defendant’s attorney to ask you questions under oath. You are permitted to have your car accident lawyer in Bristol TN present while you are asked questions about the accident and the injuries that you sustained in the accident. The deposition takes place in advance of the civil lawsuit trial. Contact us at The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt to learn more about this process and if you would like to protect your rights with the help of an experienced attorney.
Here are answers from our car accident lawyer in Bristol TN to commonly asked questions about depositions in car crash personal injury cases:
- What kind of questions will the defendant’s lawyer ask me? In a deposition, the defendant’s attorney can ask you almost anything. This may seem unfair because you may not understand how the questions are relevant to your case. However, most states’ laws allow parties to ask even seemingly irrelevant questions at a deposition. It is important to note that your answers to irrelevant questions will not be admissible at trial. Exceptions to this can be explained by your car accident lawyer in Bristol TN. The defendant’s counsel will likely focus on matters like these:
- The day of the accident. This includes what you were doing that day, why you were driving, what you were doing while you were driving, and the exact sequence of events leading up to the accident.
- Your injuries. This includes the medical treatment you received after the accident, whether or not you complied with the medical advice given to you by your physician, the level of pain you are experiencing, and the effect this pain has had on your quality of life.
- Your past medical history. This includes any prior accidents you were in, the nature of your previous injuries, and whether or not you have any pre-existing conditions.
- Do I have to answer the questions? Generally speaking, yes. Your car accident lawyer in Bristol TN can object to certain questions and, depending on the law of your state, you may or may not have to answer after the objection. Make sure that you discuss with your car accident lawyer in Bristol TN under what circumstances they plan to object during the deposition and if you may have to answer. You will be under oath at the deposition, so you cannot and should not lie. Try to keep calm, answer the questions in a straightforward way, and rely on your car accident lawyer to let you know when you should not reply.
- How will the defendant use my information? The defendant’s lawyer will use the information you provide to further their case. Typically, this means that he or she may ask you for additional documentation, or they may subpoena records or witnesses for depositions. Remember, much of what you discuss at the deposition may not be admissible in court. Depositions are often considered “fact-finding” expeditions wherein the defendant learns what you are likely to say on the stand at trial. Note that if you lie at your deposition, the defendant will likely use that to his or her advantage at trial to demonstrate your untrustworthiness.
Preparing for your deposition is an important part of your case. Consult with your car accident lawyer in Bristol TN well in advance of the deposition, be prepared, and relax and tell your story.
The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt
When you are looking for a car accident lawyer Bristol TN residents often turn to, contact The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt. With over 25 years of experience and an in-depth knowledge of the laws pertaining to personal injury, our firm has successfully won its clients millions of dollars in compensation. Regardless of the circumstances of your case or the extent of injury, as a Bristol car accident law firm, we want to hear your story. All you need to do is call now for a complimentary consultation.
Dealing with Insurance Carriers After a Car Accident
After you have been injured in a car accident, you will be contacted by your insurance company. Under your policy rules, you typically are required to let them know what happened. However, you are not required to talk to the insurance carrier of the negligent party even though they will likely try to reach out to you for a statement. When you talk to the other party’s insurance company, they might tell you things like:
- You don’t need to hire a lawyer
- We can settle now, and for a larger net amount than what you will get with a lawyer
- We have lawyers too
- We don’t believe your claim
- You will lose everything if you don’t settle now
- We just want to know what happened
All of these statements can be deceptive and lead you to make a mistake that you could regret in the future. It is in your best interest to politely decline speaking with them, accepting their offers, or signing anything until you talk with a car accident lawyer whom Bristol TN citizens respect. By taking this route you can ensure you don’t get swindled out of money that you deserve. If you have already spoken with the insurance carrier and now believe you should talk to a car accident lawyer in Bristol TN, we encourage you to call us as quickly as possible.
Why Retain a Car Accident Lawyer Bristol TN Drivers Trust?
By retaining Bristol TN car accident lawyer Mark Hurt, you can feel confident in knowing you will be listened to, and your case will be examined in the fullest manner. Immediately after calling us we will hear what you have to say and let you know what legal options you might have. If we believe we are a suitable match, we will begin to investigate the incident, compile evidence, and build a strong case on your behalf. This in and of itself is one of the most important reasons to retain a lawyer. Other reasons you should consider having a Bristol TN car accident lawyer on your side include:
- You will have a strong and effective advocate for your claim
- All of your current and prospective losses will be taken into consideration
- You can rest and recover while your lawyer works to achieve a recovery for you
- Honest and transparent legal advice
The Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt handles car accident claims on a contingency fee basis which means you don’t pay anything up front. If you would like to speak with a car accident lawyer Bristol TN families rely on, please call today.
“Words can’t begin to explain how appreciative I am for the services that the Law Offices of Mark T. Hurt provided. I live out of state, so I was concerned about being present for a ticket I got for reckless driving. But, after speaking with Brooke about it, I felt relieved and confident that it would be taken care of in the most professional way possible and I was 100% right! Thank you so much for your kindness and professionalism in which you handled my case.”