What To Do After You’re Hit By an Uninsured Driver

Auto insurance might be mandatory in most states, but about 13% of all drivers are estimated not to have insurance. If you’re in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have insurance, you might be wondering what to do. Whether the driver stays at the scene or leaves, you need to report the accident to the police and to your insurance company. Essentially, treat it like any other accident. Just know that it may be a big headache to get compensation for your damages and injuries, but it depends on your insurance situation.

Will Your Auto Insurance Cover Your Medical Bills?

In some states, drivers carry auto insurance that covers their own injuries and damages in an accident. States that use this type of system are called no-fault. Regardless of who caused the accident, you file a claim with your own insurance company. If your injuries are under a certain threshold, you don’t have to worry about filing a claim against the other driver. Another type of auto insurance policy that may cover your bills is uninsured motorist. If you have this type of insurance included in your policy, you don’t have to worry about the other driver’s insurance status. Some states make uninsured motorist insurance mandatory as part of your auto insurance package. In other states, you can opt to pay for this coverage. Talk to your auto insurance agent about your coverage if you are in an accident with an uninsured driver.

Use Your Own Health Insurance

If your injuries exceed the no-fault insurance or the driver is uninsured, you may be able to use your own health insurance to pay for your medical bills. This can help if you’re waiting for a lawsuit or settlement, too. If you’re working with a car accident lawyer on your accident, you may want to have your lawyer contact the health insurer to work out any details about your coverage.

File a Lawsuit

Unfortunately, many uninsured drivers do not have any assets to go after in a lawsuit, but you may want to discuss this with a lawyer before you assume that you cannot get compensated. In addition to the driver who caused your accident, you may find other parties that contributed to the accident. A traffic lawyer can help you investigate to find out whether the driver was on the clock at the time of the accident or there were manufacturer’s defects that led to the accident. Contact a Greensville County, VA traffic lawyer,  like The Law Offices of Mark T. Hunt, to take the right steps to pursue a claim.

Schedule Your
FREE Consultation Today

24/7 Live Answering

Or Call us to get started